Preventing it from happening is the most important place to start. Completing proper safety precautions will decrease your risk of carbon monoxide poisoning in Cocoa.
Here are several steps you can take to protect your family:
- Warm up your car out of your garage. Cars are a significant source of carbon monoxide poisoning, so never leave yours running in the confined space of a garage. The same goes for gas equipment like lawn mowers or snowmobiles.
- Don’t run ovens or grills as heaters. These appliances are safe when operated right but can create carbon monoxide when used for a long period of time in tight spaces.
- Don’t use a gas generator indoors, since it produces fumes.
- Have your chimney checked by a professional. This ensures chimneys and vents are clear and connected appropriately.
- Check gas appliances are working correctly, particularly your heater. You can make sure you’re receiving efficient, safe heating by scheduling routine furnace maintenance with Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning.