Every year over 20,000 people visit the emergency room as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning. The odorless, colorless gas is called the silent killer because it’s virtually undetectable without a carbon monoxide detector.
Carbon monoxide, as confirmed by the CDC, is put off by gas ranges, furnaces, fireplaces, stoves, and boilers so it only makes sense that carbon monoxide poisoning climbs during the colder months when people are trying to keep their homes heated. To help keep your home safe, Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning is here with a couple tips to safety heat your home.
- Install a CO detector on each floor of your home and swap out the batteries every year.
- Keep all possible sources of combustion, such as paper, clothing, bedding, or rugs, a distance over three feet away from space heaters, stoves, furnaces or fireplaces.
- Before igniting a fire in the fireplace, be sure to check to verify the chimney damper is open and unclogged.
- Do not leave portable heaters or fireplaces unattended. Power off space heaters and be sure all embers in the fireplace are totally extinguished before going to bed or leaving home.
- Space heaters should always be placed on the floor, and on a hard, incombustible surface, like ceramic tile. Keep kids and furbabies away from space heaters.
- When purchasing a new space heater, invest in a model that powers off automatically if the heater falls over.
- Don’t use a oven to increase the temperature in your home.
- Have all stoves, fireplaces, chimneys, and all types of furnaces professionally inspected and cleaned annually.
The best thing you can do for your heating system is to be sure it’s not only up to the task of keeping your home warm all winter but also safe, is to set-up your heating tune-up. During your heating tune-up, Service Experts will check to ensure your heating system is operating safely with a total multi-point inspection and cleaning. Call 321-428-7635 today and learn how you can save on a heating tune-up through November 25th.