When bad weather comes our way, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a big impact. Staying safe and protecting your home are your greatest priorities, but did you know there are steps you can take to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm is over, your AC repair technician will give you the thumbs up?
Taking even a few minutes to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm hits can help you avoid damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you set up for an AC repair technician to check your system post-storm, they can probably provide you with good news that your preparations worked.
At Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning, we know that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for bad weather, and time may not give you much warning, so we’ve put together a a checklist of what you can do before and after a severe weather event occurs.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are commonplace during rough weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to make sure it is totally off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover has the ability to keep away any debris that gets tossed around during threatening weather. Just ensure you have turned the system totally off before covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Make sure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are kept in a secure place so that they don’t get thrown around during the severe weather event.
- Clear the debris. Once it is alright to head out of your home, make sure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you see any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly look at your system and figure out whether or not an AC repair is needed.
Of course we all hope that severe weather doesn’t hit us in Cocoa, but we have to be prepped if we want the best chance to avoid any major damage or other concerns that may come with it. If you have any questions about how to best prep for threatening weather in Cocoa or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has gone through, give us a call at 321-428-7635 or schedule an appointment with Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning through our online scheduler.