Your air conditioner’s purpose is keeping the air inside your home nice and cool, which means that any time you allow heat to come back in to home, you’re making the air conditioner work harder than it should have to. While the air conditioner is your main source for cooler air, there are a couple things you can do, on top of air conditioner service, to help keep the Cocoa heat out and help your air conditioner thrive through the remaining days of summer.
Here are seven tips from Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning to help keep hot air outdoors:
- Block out the sun. A great deal of heat makes its way into your home through your windows. Keep it out by using solar screens, tinted windows and blackout curtains. At the minimum, purchase blinds and keep them closed.
- Seal air leaks. The spaces in your home that are air conditioned should be as air-tight as possible. Check out your crawlspace, basement or attic for major air holes like these in the building envelope. We can perform a sophisticated comfort performance assessment for you to discover leaks in walls, ceilings and ducts.
- Check for leaky doors and windows. Check your windows and doors and add or replace caulk or weather-stripping that might be torn or displaying signs of wear.
- Try no-cook or served-cold meals. Your stove and oven add a lot of heat in your home. Try some no-cook meals and use your microwave as an alternative to your stove or oven.
- Run the dishwasher and dryer at night. Save any household activities that could generate heat for evenings after the temperature outside goes down. You can also let your dishes and clothes air dry and give those appliances the night off.
- Provide window coverage outside the home. Awnings over windows and doors can help protect from the sun’s direct heat. Trees can also offer shade and deflect some of the heat.
- Get a free air conditioner consultation. The biggest impact on heat is a new air conditioning system evaluation. After learning about new air conditioner systems, technology and options, the ideal option could simply be an air conditioner upgrade.
If you don’t feel like your home is keeping cool temperatures despite following the tips we noted, it could mean that you need air conditioner service or repair. Air conditioner maintenance is one of the best ways to make sure your equipment is operating as it should be and that you are getting peak efficiency and results. Don’t stay uncomfortable longer than you have to. Give Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning in Cocoa or set up an appointment online to have an expert check out your air conditioner and make sure it’s operating properly.