Whether you add a sunroom, family room or other room to your home, being cozy in your new space no matter the weather is key. However, they can present a unique problem for comfort. This is because extending ductwork is expensive. And that your heating and cooling system may not be work properly with the higher load, because it was sized without considering the addition.
One of the most affordable solutions is to get a mini-split. This system delivers energy-efficient heating and cooling, with no ductwork needed. Learn more about mini-splits and how adding one to your addition can be a great fit.
All About Mini-Splits and How They Heat and Cool
A ductless mini-split, since they’re very similar to ducted heat pumps that have been used in southern climates for decades.
Heat pumps are extremely energy efficient as they move heat to make your addition comfier. In reality, many have reached ENERGY STAR® certification, which could make you eligible for additional rebates and decrease your heating and cooling expenses for years to come.
Another exclusive feature includes zoned heating and cooling. Because each room often has a dedicated indoor unit, you can select your preferred temperature from room to room. For example, a mini-split AC is particularly beneficial if you have a room with specific temperature needs, such as a home gym.
Why a Mini-Split is Worth It for Your Space
Getting a mini-split system is worth it for spaces that are without ductwork. Here are a couple reasons why it’s better than extending ductwork and relying on your existing heating and cooling system.
- Extending ductwork is costly. Adding ductwork in your new addition can be expensive. Although the exact cost will depend on your residence, it be as much as thousands of dollars.
- Your existing home comfort system might become overwhelmed. When your existing heating and cooling system was chosen, it was based on the square footage of your residence before the addition. This could overwhelm your system and make it wear down more rapidly.
- Your comfort may suffer. Since your heating and cooling system is sized for exact square footage, your comfort could suffer if your system has to manage a bigger area. Your heating and cooling might be less efficient, and your utility expenses could get more expensive due to the system needing to run more often.
What Size Mini-Split You Should Get
Like traditional systems, mini-splits are offered in several sizes based on the square footage they’ll be heating and cooling. Here are three of the most regularly installed sizes:
- 400-650 square feet – 12,000 BTU mini-split
- 600-1,000 square feet – 18,000 BTU mini-split
- 800-1,300 square feet – 24,000 BTU mini-split
When you work with our Experts at Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning, we’ll help you get the correct size for your new space. And your budget.
An ENERGY STAR mini-split unit can result in sizable energy savings over its life span, which can be 20 years or more when adequately serviced. ENERGY STAR says getting one can save you 60% on heating and 30% on cooling, in contrast to an electric heating system and conventional air conditioner.
Trust Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning for Your Mini-Split Installation
From answering all your questions and helping you choose the right model to delivering Expert mini-split installation, Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning can take care of all your mini-split needs. If you’re considering a home addition or recently completed one, we can provide assistance. Give us a call at 321-428-7635 right away to request a free consultation and estimate.