Winter months in Melbourne are here. In fact, the months of October through February have a history of carbon monoxide safety concerns with 68 percent of carbon monoxide related deaths caused by home appliances occurring in the course of those months. To understand the safety of your home, arrange an annual furnace service now, before the cold of winter arrives.
According to a new survey from Service Experts Heating and Air Conditioning, 94 percent of homeowners recognize that their furnace may discharge deadly carbon monoxide gas, but over half don't do anything to stop it from occurring.
“Carbon monoxide is a colorless odorless gas that can be surprisingly harmful,” says Dr. Lance Broy. “Initial symptoms can be mistaken for the flu – you can have nausea and fatigue but actually can progress and cause organ damage or even death.”
Any appliance in your home that utilizes fuels like gas, oil, or wood – such as furnaces, water heaters, fireplaces or clothes dryers – has the opportunity to give off carbon monoxide if the system is not operating correctly or if it wasn’t installed appropriately.
Your annual furnace service company can help uncover any troubling problems. When you have furnace service completed, your technician should:
- Ensure that your furnace isn’t emitting carbon monoxide
- Search for any other out-of-place things that might compromise your safety
- Help you find any additional areas where you may want to consider adding a carbon monoxide detector
- Tune-up your system so that you know your equipment is running at its best efficiency, helping provide peace-of-mind that you’re in a great spot to potentially save money this winter
It’s important to know that many furnace manufacturers may require annual furnace service to keep your system under their warranty. That’s where the experts at Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning can help. We’re here to help you have not only a comfortable home, but more importantly, a safe one. Give us a call at 321-428-7635 or set up an appointment with us online to learn more about carbon monoxide safety as we head in to the cooler months.