According to a 2012 report by the National Fire Protection Association, fire departments answer to an average of 72,000 carbon monoxide cases each year. Carbon Monoxide, or CO, is a colorless, odorless gas by-product of burnt fuel. It’s often linked to wood stoves, car engines, and other fire combustion sources including gas or oil furnaces.
Why should you be constantly aware of CO?
Not to be overly dramatic, but understanding the causes and ways to prevent excessive CO exposure is a matter of life and death. CO is one of the leading reasons of accidental poisoning deaths in the US*, and conditions of CO poisoning is often confused as the flu, viral infections and continuous fatigue, among many others. This makes CO poisoning the invisible killer that needs to be taken seriously by every Melbourne homeowner. Acute poisoning takes place from breathing large concentrations of CO, but poisoning has also been reported to occur over many months or years. Some indicators may include nausea, vomiting, flu-like symptoms, dizziness, and fatigue.
How to protect your family from carbon monoxide?
- If you don’t have a CO detector in your home, get one right away. You can phone Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning to purchase one today.
- If you do have a CO detector that is battery-powered, check or replace the batteries regularly; at least every 90 days. It's also a good idea to replace the detector every 3-5 years.
- If you experience or have experienced any of the symptoms cited above, ask your doctor to test for carbon monoxide poisoning and get a second opinion if necessary.
- Schedule routine gas furnace maintenance each year to ensure no carbon monoxide leaks are present at the beginning of heating season.
- If your furnace is approaching the end of its lifespan, you may want to consider a proactive home furnace replacement service and upgrade to a new heating unit.
*emedicinehealth.com. Prevention information for Carbon Monoxide poisoning may be inaccurate or incomplete; none of these methods guarantee the prevention of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.